I’ve got a new side dish for you guys today, inspired by the lovely folks over at Cavemen Gourmet: Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Apple. Brussels sprouts, eh? I’ve had friends tell me for years that Brussels sprouts, when prepared well, can be really tasty, and honestly, I thought they were all a little crazy. Chalk it up to my changing tastes (or maybe the fact that they’re totally right), but I really liked this recipe. The sweet/tart of the apple is a really nice balance to the sprouts. Plus, it takes all of about 20 minutes to make. Total. Check out my version after the jump…
Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Apple
Quantity: 6-8 servings
Time: 20 minutes (5 minutes prep, 10-15 minutes cooking)
Paleo Grade: A+ (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegetarian-Friendly)
Vegetarian Adaptation: No changes needed… this one’s vegan!
- 32 oz. Brussels sprouts; rinse, remove ends and any wilted leaves (you can halve them if you like)
- 2 Fuji or Granny Smith apples (mix ’em if you like!), diced into 1/2″ cubes
- 2 Tbs. coconut oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat coconut oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add in sprouts and season well with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in apple chunks and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5-7 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- That’s it! Once you’re happy with the texture of the sprouts, transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately.