Grab & Go Southwest Mini Frittatas

My Sunday breakfast plate (not going to lie, I had two more "muffins" after these).

These are a weekend favorite at our house… Make a big batch on Sunday, and then you can just grab ’em on your way out the door for a quick breakfast during the week.  (I actually find them delish cold.)  I first ran across the idea of doing these over at nomnompaleo.com (if you’re not reading this blog, go there right now and read it. It’s amazing!)  The great thing about these is that you can put just about whatever you want in them and they’ll taste good.  Today was a bacon and southwest veggie day…

Grab & Go Southwest Mini Frittatas
Quantity: 12 mini frittatas
Time:
about 10 minutes prep, about 15 minutes cooking
Paleo Grade: B (I use a little Greek yogurt, but you could omit!)

• 1/2-1 Tbs. coconut oil or fat of choice
  • 1/2 onion, diced (I’ll use white or yellow – just depends on what I’ve got on hand.)
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 large jalapeno, seeded and diced
  • 1 lb. bacon, cooked and diced into 1/2″ pieces (you can also sub in ground beef or ground pork). I used Applegate Farms bacon today… no hormones, no nitrates, yum!
  • 6 large pastured eggs (we’ve been getting them from Milagro Farms at the Austin Farmers Market)
  • Large dollop of full-fat plain Greek yogurt
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Note: I really like to add diced mushrooms and green peppers as well, but the frittatas are great with or withou

Start by preheating your oven to 350 and setting out your muffin tin and muffin cups.  I’ll admit, I’ve not been using a non-stick spray in my muffin cups when I make these, so the eggs do stick a bit.  I’ll be experimenting with a coconut oil spray down the road.

Frittata veggies

The veggies immediately after putting them in the pan and seasoning.

Heat up your coconut oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.  Once it’s liquid, add in the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno.  Add salt and pepper to taste and cook until veggies are a bit soft and slightly browned. Remove from heat once cooked.

While your veggies are cooking, nuke the bacon to your desired crispiness, and then cut up into 1/2″ chunks.

Cooked Frittata Veggies

The veggies when they're all cooked and ready to go.

Frittata Bacon

Mmmmm.... bacon.

Next up: make the egg mixture.  Just crack your six eggs into a mixing bowl and add a dollop (oh, maybe a Tbs. or two) of full-fat Greek yogurt.  Season with salt and pepper (I don’t use much salt when making these with bacon, but I do add more when using ground pork or beef.) Wisk until yolks are fully broken and yogurt is distributed.

Evenly divide your bacon (or protein of choice) into your 12 muffin cups, working to cover the bottom of the muffin cup. Then, evenly divide the veggie mixture into each cup, placing on top of your protein.  Last but not least, pour in the egg mixture over each.  You’re shooting to have the liquid come halfway to two-thirds up the side of the muffin cup.

Pop those babies into the oven for 15 minutes.  After 15 minutes, turn ’em around and back for another 8 minutes or so until your eggs are set.  Remove from the oven and let cool slightly on a cookie rack, and serve!

Fresh from the oven mini frittatas

Vegetarian?  So’s my hubby.  Just omit the bacon/animal protein!  My husband requested some “fake bacon” in there, and he liked it with that as well, FYI.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast

Stay Connected with PaleoBetty!

Be the first to get updated recipes and more!

9 Comments on “Grab & Go Southwest Mini Frittatas”

1. July 11, 2011 at 7:13 am #

And they were so tasty. Even with my fake bacon…

2. Colleen
    September 19, 2011 at 5:59 pm #

Thank you for posting this recipe! i am new to the Paleo lifestyle. actually I am doing the Whole 30 right now which is the same concept as Paleo which I found at my new crossfit gym. You gave me a basis on which i cooked up some red & peppers, onion, garlic, mushrooms, spinach and Nitrate\hormone free chorizo! I omitted the yogurt and added some water. Me and Dairy don’t agree. It was so delicious I had one for dinner. Again thank you for helping new Paleo’s like me make yummy meals!

• September 20, 2011 at 9:40 am #

Hi Colleen! Thanks so much for your very kind note, and welcome to the world of Paleo! I’ve heard excellent things about Whole 30 – how far along are you? How are you finding it? So glad you enjoyed the recipe inspiration… your eggs sound delish! Thanks so much for reading the blog – can’t tell you how happy it makes me to hear from my fellow Paleo buddies. 🙂

• Colleen
        September 20, 2011 at 8:20 pm #

I’m only 2.5 weeks into the Whole30 and I love it. I thought it would be extremely difficult to manage but so far I haven’t been tempted once. Traveling this weekend will prove challenging but I’ll be prepared with some fruit, nuts and jerky. I’m determined not to give in! My weight is down 8 pounds and my Crossfit performance is increasing. My usually dry skin is clearing up. My workday energy levels are better but not great just yet. Still not sleeping through the night and dozing off while I read my email…. Could just be boredom. But I kill a 7:30PM workout 🙂

PS I shared my muffins with a coworker who went nuts and I sent him your link and spreading the Paleo word.

Again thank you for creating yummy recipes!

3. September 28, 2011 at 10:45 am #

Hi Colleen –

That’s awesome! How’s it going now? I bet you’re feeling fantastic. 🙂 So happy for you! I’m about to kick of a 6-week challenge of super-clean eating… really looking forward to a strong push pre-holiday-season.

Thank so much for spreading the word, and let me know if there are any recipes you’d love to see here on the blog!

All the best,

Nicole

4. Stacy Buck
    January 2, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

I made these last night. I was so happy to heat a few up for my husband and send him on his way with something that would fill him up! I’m day 2 of strict paleo and so far so good. Thanks for the great inspiration…shared your link with some friends. They all said how inspired they were with your story and your results. Keep it up…I stalk often.

• January 2, 2012 at 9:20 pm #

Hi Stacy! I’m so glad you liked the recipe! Thanks so much for checking out the site! Lots of goodness coming in the New Year… stay tuned! 🙂
      ~Nicole

5. January 22, 2012 at 7:28 pm #

Made these today and they were awesome. Taking a couple to the box tomorrow for after a WOD. Thanks for a great recipe.

Greg

• January 23, 2012 at 11:47 am #

Awesome, Greg! Glad you liked ’em!!