For many years, I’ve been nervous about cooking chicken, and I’m not entirely sure why. I really like chicken (especially dark meat, not gonna lie), and I ate loads of it growing up (thanks, Mom!). Since I’m working on adding some great easy, tasty proteins to my weekly menu, a roasted chicken that can be added to just about anything seemed like a good thing to try. This one’s good solo, but it can also be a salad topper, a frittata protein, whatever!
This is a super-easy recipe that will give you several servings of protein to use at will during the week… enjoy!
Every Day Shredded Chicken
Quantity: about 10 4 oz. servings
Time: 10 min prep, 45 min cooking, 15 min cooling
Paleo Grade: A (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
- 4.5 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken legs (with thighs) (about 6 legs)
- 1-2 Tbs. good olive oil
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Position rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil, overlapping edges.
- Place the chicken legs on the baking sheet, skin side up. Drizzle with olive oil and squeeze both lemons on chicken pieces.
- Sprinkle with the paprika, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Roast chicken until the juices run clear when pierced with the tip of sharp knife. (about 45-50 minutes)
- Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Remove meat and skin from the bones and shred by hand.
- Eat as-is or throw into your favorite recipe!